The stature of Virat Kohli as team India’s captain took Indian cricket to a whole new level on Wednesday when India clean-swept Sri Lanka in T20 International and became the first ever team to achieve 9-0 in the formats on foreign tours. To finish the tour unbeaten after wiping them out in the Test (3-0) as well as ODI (5-0) series, India won by 7 wickets against the hosts.
In the history of international cricket, it was 7th time that a team won across formats in every international match on away tour of up to 6 matches. Before it, no other team had done it on overseas tour with margin of 9-0.
Another feather on Kohli’s cap – team India chased 171 and Colombo with 82 runs on Wednesday.
However, Australia did the same but at their home land. They achieved 9-0 line in 2009-10 against Pakistan.
Take a look on the list of achievement records in full-sweep –
- 6-0 – In 2011-12, New Zealand won against Zimbabwe in New Zealand
- 6-0 – In 2011-12, Pakistan won against Bangladesh in Bangladesh
- 6-0 – In 2011 – Pakistan won against Zimbabwe in Zimbabwe
- 7-0 – In 2012-13, West Indies won against Zimbabwe in West Indies
- 8-0 – In 2016-17, New Zealand won in New Zealand against Bangladesh
- 9-0 – In 2009-10, Australia won in Australia against Pakistan
- 9-0 – In 2017, India won in Sri Lanka against Sri Lanka.
After achieving a clean sweep in Test Series (3-0) and One Day International (5-0) series, the dominant team India seems confident enough to outclass Sri Lanka in T20 International (T20) on Wednesday at R. Premadasa Stadium.
Led by Virat Kohli, the team thumped the hosts by 5-0 in Emerald Isle in the 5-match ODI and outperformed in all departments. Before 50-over format, India whitewashed them in Test series (3-0).
If India beats Sri Lanka in T20I only, it will be just another time when a team cleaned up with 9-0 in a series, including all three formats. In 2010, Australia cleaned off Pakistan by 9-0 Down Under.
It seems that team India will leave no stone unturned in the next matches to come. Let’s wish our team to win this series. It is a super victory for the team as the team created yet another record in the history of cricket. The captaincy of Kohli is doing wonders these days.